Monday, September 2, 2013

Unfaithful Mind by Marion Gibson

This review is for Unfaithful Mind by Marion Gibson. I received it from the author for free through LibraryThing.com's August 2013 Early Reviewers batch. This is my first review for a LibraryThing book. It is nonfiction, with which I am inexperienced.

I loved this book. Marion (AKA Mar)'s story is a true story so I can't complain about how things went or things like that. But I do however have a problem with how she switched back and forth between the past and the present, and how she would refer to things that she now knows but didn't at the time that she is talking about. It made it kind of hard to follow and I wanted to follow every word because this is a truly heartbreaking and wonderful re-telling of her story.

A thing that I want to point out is that she spelled out times and dates constantly and that made it hard to read in places because it was hard to understand what she was meaning by them since she did not put it a common format. I don't know, maybe that's something she was taught to do in her writing but I was not.

There was also a major autocorrect malfunction on page 52 of 178 in which I assume that she meant to put "...and his piercing glare.", but it was published as "...and his Pier-Mariecing glare." I point this out not for readers or for myself but in hopes that the author will read this and fix it. It took me a few minutes to understand what was really meant, and I know that isn't the author's fault. Stupid autocorrect.

Before the film A Beautiful Mind was mentioned (I didn't think it would be!), I was comparing this story to that movie. If you haven't seen that movie, you should. It's great!

I will end by saying that you should read this book! It is heartbreaking, beautiful, and everything all at once. I wish the best for her family and would really love to read more from her about her husband's progress. I think she should start a blog for all of the people who want to know more in real time. Mrs. Gibson is a very strong lady and I support her decision to publish this 100%. More people need to know that this happens to normal people every day! I definitely recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment